This smoked Mackerel potato salad is another of our go to quick and simple meals. Whilst we sit in a roasting summer for once the last thing any of use wants to be doing is slaving over a hot stove. One of beauties of this dish is that it requires very little cooking, just the potatoes, you could even do this in bulk and keep a load precooked an cold ready in the fridge.
You can change the salad that goes into this dish with what is in season or more likely in the fridge, it will work with pretty much any salad. I like to make it with various salad vegetables and mix up the textures with some crunch as well. I don”t tend to add dressings to my salads but you could if you wanted. There are also various different smoked mackerels available, peppered, marinated etc… of course you could use smoked trout or similar if you prefer.
As we are currently in the midst of a scorching summer, instead of using smoked fish you could use freshly barbeque”d fish to give a real teaste of summer.
- 50g smoked mackerel
- 200g new potatoes
- 80g peas
- 80g sweet corn
- 1 carrot
- 1/4 red onion
- Cut the potatoes into 1/4s
- Boil the new potatoes for 20 minutes
- Steam the peas and sweet corn, you can do this over the potatoes or boil
- Finely chop the carrot, onion, rocket and lettuce
- Roughly cut the mackerel, having removed any skin first
- Drain the new potatoes
- And mix the new potatoes , peas, sweet corn, carrot, onion and mackerel together in a