This simple recipe is another one that we have as a simple quick meal to go to when we’re pushed for time, just don’t feel like making anything complicated. Of course it’s also possible to leave out the mackerel and have a really nice salad as an accompaniment to any meal, it’s really good to have for a barbecue. The beauty of this recipe is the simplicity and the time in which it can be put together, it’s not really cooking, it can even be further simplified and sped up by using couscous in place of bulgar wheat. The whole recipe really only takes 20 minutes to prepare, as long as the bulgar wheat takes to cook.
If the choice of vegetables added to the bulgur wheat is chosen carefully it can be a really colourful dish, this is why I choose the mix of vegetables I have. Having a broad colour range int he dish not only makes it look appetising but does help the make it healthy, pretty sure it nearly covers most requirements for a meal.
- 50g smoked mackerel
- 100g bulgar wheat
- 80g peas
- 80g sweetcorn
- 1 carrot
- 1/4 red onion
- Boil the bulgar wheat for 20 minutes
- Steam the peas and sweet corn, you can do this over the bulgar wheat or boil
- Finely chop the carrot and onion
- Roughly cut the mackerel, having removed any skin first
- Drain the bulgar wheat
- And mix the bulgar wheat, peas, sweet corn, carrot, onion and mackerel together in a bowl